Metairie, LA- The Louisiana Restaurant Association Education Foundation (LRAEF) is now accepting scholarship applications through April 10, 2015.
The LRAEF Scholarship Fund was created in 2009 to support the continuing education of individuals pursuing a career in the culinary and/or hospitality industry.
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted in a bachelor and/or associate degree seeking program, pursuing a career in the restaurant, foodservice, tourism or hospitality industry. Courses of study can include, but are not limited to: culinary, hospitality, tourism, business and management programs. Scholarship awards may vary based on available funds and are merit-based.
The 2015 scholarships will be awarded from the following funds:
• Jim Funk Scholarship: The LRAEF's most prestigious award, the scholarship is named for former LRA President & CEO Jim Funk, who was instrumental in founding the LRAEF and was a culinary education champion during his 30 years of service to the LRA. This scholarship is renewable on an annual basis for up to four years, provided that minimum GPA and enrollment standards are met.
• LRAEF/NRAEF ProStart® Scholarship: Awarded exclusively to students who achieve the ProStart Certificate of Achievement. ProStart is a nationwide, two-year program for high school students that develops the best and brightest talent into tomorrow's industry leaders.
• LRAEF Culinary & Hospitality Leadership Scholarship: Awarded to Louisiana students who intend to pursue a career in the restaurant, foodservice, tourism or hospitality industry.
• LRA CENLA Chapter Scholarship: Presented by the LRA CENLA Chapter, this scholarship is awarded to qualified applicants from the chapter's 11 parish area- Avoyelles, Beauregard, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Sabine, Vernon and Winn parishes.
• Louisiana Seafood Scholarship: Established through a generous gift from the Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board, this scholarship is awarded to qualified applicants who show an interest in cultivating, protecting and promoting Louisiana seafood.
Available for download at www.LRAEF.org, the application must be completed and postmarked by Friday, April 10, 2015.
"The LRAEF is proud to offer financial assistance to students both beginning and furthering their education in the culinary and hospitality fields," said LRAEF Executive Director Alice Glenn. "Our industry offers great opportunities for rewarding careers and advancement. Our goal is to support promising future leaders as they prepare for the many lucrative restaurant careers in Louisiana."
The LRAEF, a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization, exists to enhance the restaurant community through expanded educational and career opportunities, the formation of strategic partnerships and the elevation of professional standards and practices. If you would like to make a donation, please contact Alice Glenn, email@example.com or (504) 636-6526.
The LRAEF is grateful to its sponsors: 5 Diamond-Acme Oyster House, Auto-Chlor Services, Louisiana Hospitality Foundation, Louisiana Restaurant Association, Louisiana Seafood and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation; 4 Diamond-Performance Foodservice-Caro; 3 Diamond-Atmos Energy, Camellia Brand, Drago's Seafood Restaurant, Louisiana Culinary Institute, New Orleans Wine & Food Experience and Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers; 2 Diamond-Louisiana Gas Association, Whole Foods Market and Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Sea of Hope."
ProStart is a registered trademark of the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation.
ProStart is a two-year, culinary management program for high school juniors and seniors with a curriculum designed to teach students culinary techniques as well as restaurant management skills. ProStart is in 50 high schools statewide and more than 1,200 students participate in the program.
As the philanthropic foundation of the Louisiana Restaurant Association, the LRA Education Foundation exists to enhance our community through expanded educational and career opportunities, the formation of strategic partnerships and the elevation of our professional standards and practices.
The Louisiana Restaurant Association is one of the largest business organizations in the state, representing restaurant operations and related businesses. The restaurant industry in Louisiana is one the state's largest private employers, providing jobs to nearly 200,000 residents. Restaurants in Louisiana are expected to generate sales of more than $7 billion in 2015. Get up-to-date news about the LRA and the restaurant industry from lrablogs.blogspot.com.